An NGO implemented a project focusing on all round development of ado and youth 10 – 24 yrs supported by Innovative/Challenge Fund –Kolkata urban services for poor. (I/CF- KUSP) at Joynagar Mojilpur municipality during the year 2009 – 2011. The major outcome of the project was to empower adolescent and youth through young people friendly space (YFS). Hence JOYNAGAR YUVA BITAN was registered a under Societies registration Act as a Community Based Youth Organization (CBYO) in the year 2009. A group of motivated youth was identified and involved in the organization .The main objective of the YFS is to empower the youth to become agents of change, provide them a platform where they can freely discuss their problems ,aspirations, fear, views with each other and YFS will guide them and will do counseling as per as their needs. It recognizes both their vulnerabilities and thirst for change. The organization is managed by the youth itself. JOYNAGAR YUVA BITAN was formed on principles of openness, tolerance, equal rights and the use of alternative approaches, promotes the development social activity amongst youth.
• Drop out – • Early marriage • Suicide attempts. • Poverty. • Drug addiction • Lack of awareness on ARSH • Many people don’t know their blood group. • Trafficking
• Women empowerment
Women bear almost all responsibility for meeting basic needs of the family, yet are systematically denied the resources, information and freedom of action they need to fulfill this responsibility.
• Rights of women. We want to make a society were there is equal rights for both men and women. We believe that they should be given their rights so that they have the same social, economical and political status as men.
• No early marriage. Despite many poor countries enacting marriageable age laws to limit marriage to a minimum age 18, traditional marriages of girls of younger ages are widespread.
• Fight against dowry. Though prohibited by law in 1961, the extraction of DOWRY from the bride's family prior to marriage still occurs. The official records of these incidents are low because they are often reported as accidents or suicides by the family. We don’t let any girl to death like “Nirupama” of R.N. Tagore.
• Education for every girl child. In a male-oriented society where education opportunities for the poor are few, women are less likely to receive them. We believe in "If you educate a man you educate a person, but if you educate a woman you educate a family."
• To improve the quality of life of young women via skills training and career services
PUJALI DISHA YOUTH WELFARE SOCIETY covering Pujali Municipality was registered as a Community Based Youth Organization (CBYO) in the year 2008. It is an organization run and managed by youth groups with technical assistance from BITAN the parent organization. DISHA has been successful in establishing itself as community based organization with active support and cooperation from the local Pujali municipality and youths. Support from local stakeholders like Ward committee members, councilors, officials of other related departments, teachers, parents are the pillars of success for this project. DISHA has been able to mobilize resources like office space, infrastructure- coaching centers, classroom from the local municipality.
• To identify with and work along the economical and socially deprived people so that they become educated which will help them in becoming self reliant
• To spread awareness which will help them in living a healthy life which is of utmost importance.
• Enable them to be healthy, self – reliant i.e. independent and have a dignified life.
• Early marriage
• Suicide attempts.
• Drug addiction
• Lack of awareness on ARSH